08 July 2010

My Testimony

A little about me while I’m typing up the Salvation post.  I must say that I don’t have one of those heart wrenching, soul jerking, incredibly emotional testimonies, but it’s mine.

I was raised in church.  My grandpa was the pastor of the Wesleyan Church in Bradford, PA where I lived, so I grew up in it.  We attended church every Sunday morning and Wednesday evening.  You can say, and bear with me for there will be an explanation later, that I “was saved” several times in my life.  Having grown up in church, I knew about Jesus, and I knew that people were supposed to accept him and “be saved.”  All of these times that I “was saved” (I know it seems excessive with the quotations, but it’s necessary), I would continue on with my life as though nothing happened.  Well, that is because nothing did!

Finally, while in the Army, in a little Baptist church in Hinesville, Georgia, I realized that I was not living as I should be.  I realized, for the first time, who Jesus really was, and I accepted him into my life as Savior.  As soon as I did that, the Holy Spirit, who is sovereign, entered my heart and made me new, and I was saved. That is when the change occurred.  It was at that moment that I no longer wanted to do the things I had been doing (no, they weren’t exceptionally “bad,” but they were indeed sinful and displeasing to God—swearing, drinking, smoking, etc.).  I didn’t feel like these were things I had to stop doing, it was that I had a desire to stop doing them because I knew that they were sinful in God’s eyes.  So, I quit.  Yeah, the smoking took a little longer, but, with God’s help, it happened.  Although the swearing stopped immediately, I sometimes slipped up, usually when I was angry…but even that diminished.  I had an insane desire to learn God’s word, so I read the Bible every morning and night, not being able to get enough of it (still can’t.  I wish I could remember ALL of it, but of course that’s impossible).

God is so good.  Even when I mess up, which seems to be often, if I ask, he forgives.  He continues to work in my life, blessing me and my family, leading us to wonderful people and experiences (although some I don’t really care for!!).  He does not expect anything from me that he won’t provide a way for.  Praise be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment